Thursday, September 23, 2010

I am currently taking an honors course entitled 'The Atom and the American Experience' which analyzes the effects of atomic energy on American life, politics, and science. What is cool about the course is that it is an OU President's Dream course, meaning my professors (who have PhD's from Columbia...you know) received about $25,000 extra to enhance the class. With this money, my professors are bringing in throughout the semester guest speakers who are experts in their fields.

We read about 100 pages a night of different papers, books, and biographies. Currently, we are reading Arsenals of Folly by Richard Rhodes. Richard Rhodes is probably the foremost expert on all things atomic energy, as probably agreed by the entire scientific historical community. He has written 23 books, with his latest The Twilight of the Bomb just released last month. Next week, we have the pleasure of being lectured by this Pulitzer prize winner in the intimate setting of about 30 students (followed by a formal, public lecture that night). I never thought that I would be so excited about something so strange! But I think it's a wonderful opportunity, especially as a freshman, to hear such an influential figure speak. If you ever get the chance and are interested in the history of atomic energy/nuclear weapons/the Cold War, or anything else pertaining to this, please read Arsenals of Folly. It is really very interesting. The first two chapters deal with the Chernobyl disaster and the history of Gorbachev, from the time he was born until he took command of the Soviet Union.

GoIng off on a tangent, this class made me very interested in careers in atomic energy. Obviously, my goal is to get into medical school. But if I do not get in, or decide it is not for me, I have started researching Health Physicists, specifically a Nuclear Health Physicist. Go HERE to read about, via the CDC. I won't bore you with the details, but it really just channels my inner-nerd reading about this stuff. Isn't it cool?

The Honors Program at OU makes me really happy I ended up here, despite some of my recent feelings. I am taught by some of the most intelligent, knowledgable people I have ever met, graduates from Princeton, Brown, Columbia, the works. I only hope I get to submerge myself in all the classes these people teach.

0 comments: