Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In case you missed it, the Times Square attempted suicide-bomber has been in court for his attempted terrorist attack. In the trial the terrorist stated the above quote, a threat to the security of the United States.

Brace yourselves, because the war with Muslims has just begun," 31-year-old Faisal Shahzad told a federal judge. "Consider me the first droplet of the blood that will follow."

What makes me sad about what he says (apart from the idea that more attacks are bound to happen) is the terrorists use of the phrase "war with Muslims". It really hurts me to see a whole people characterized as murdering enemies. Yes, there are radical Muslims that do wish to inflict harm to our country, but stating that this religion, as a whole, is the enemy of the United States, does not sit well with me. Innocent, Muslim, AMERICAN citizens can be categorized into this war with America. I feel like the label of a "war with Muslims" will further fuel the discrimination in this country. If not before, now many ignorant Americans will believe that this is a war against Islam. The Muslim religion. Any Muslim believer. When in fact it is not. We are threatened by a group of radicals, not by a religion.

I don't know why this quote jumped out to me whilst eating my Reese's Puffs, watching CNN in the cafeteria today, but it really struck me. I hope that I am just cynical to our societies views and that no one in our country really believes this is a war against the collective Islam beliefs.

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous-Matthew 5:44-45

0 comments: