Monday, October 18, 2010

So I am making a big decision.

Thursday I have an appointment with my advisor, in which I am changing my career path from pre-med to pre-pharmacy. I have always (thought) I wanted to be some type of physician. But really, I have always known I want to work in a hospital. Growing up wandering around my mom's lab, as well as volunteering throughout the oncology and neurology units, I always felt at home. Cheesy, I know. But knowing you feel like you belong in a place like that is a big feeling.

But now, today. I am a planner. A big planner. I am not a fan of uncertainty (when it deals with my life). With my career path now, I will graduate in 4 years with a Bachelors in Microbiology. I will apply for medical school my senior year, and possibly get in. I have trouble with this. Say I do not get in. At that point I went through 4 years of school to end up with a degree that will practically help me in no way whatsoever, unless I am in medical school. SO. I am changing around my classes to get about 65 hours of pre-req coursework done by the end of sophomore year. By November of my sophomore year, I will have had to apply for Pharmacy school. If I get in, beginning my Junior year of undergrad, I would start four years of Pharmacy school. I would no longer be attending OU in Norman, but the OU Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City (the medical/dentistry/nursing/pa school for OU). After four years of school, I will have obtained my Doctor of Pharmacy. So, my education would last 6 years total (unless I specialize) rather than at least 8 (plus many more). My mom told me that in her meetings with clinical pharmacists, they are quite the nerds, and a bit antisocial. I fit right in, don't I?

I feel like this is a good move to me. By my junior year I will know that I am starting my career, rather than waiting until senior year to find out I will or will not be in medical school the next fall. Clinical pharmacists are in high demand, often making a larger salary than a family practitioner. If I do not get into pharmacy school my sophomore year, I can continue my track or switch back to pre-med. So, in my opinion, it is kind of a win-win. AND I believe that if I stay pre-pharm and get into pharmacy school I won't need to be taking my ridiculous 5 hour French class. So TRIPLE win.

If you know me, this is a really big deal. I don't feel like I am giving up on my dreams, but rather, being more realistic with my future. I sometimes believe I wanted to become a doctor because I am somewhat an academic elitist (as sad as that is). I wanted to prove I could do it, that I could be the best, to have the power and the title. And maybe I could be. But until then, I am switching roads. Either way I will be Dr. Anderson. Just in two different senses.

Pray for me that this is what I am to be doing. That I am not making decisions to take the easy way out. But honestly, at this point, I feel like this is right.

1 comments:

emily/thesearethedays said...

You will do a fantastic job with whatever you decide, and I'm behind you all the way! I love you, and you're brilliant. See you Friday!!