Monday, April 25, 2011

Here's a look at some of my Easter baking. I decided to run with a design I have seen on I Am Baker, using her recipe for the best chocolate cake. I thought it was kind of dry, but my parents seemed to like it. I might have cooked it just a few minutes too long.




I used a tweaked cream cheese recipe for the icing. I had to add some crisco to make it hold it's shape. One of my favorite icings is cream cheese, especially paired with a chocolate cake. This would have turned out better with a) buttercream... which I hate, or b) a larger star tip. I used the largest one I own, but I think I will be needing to invest in a 1M one soon.

I'm a sucker for the whipped cream icings, called Bettercreme, that are used on a lot of cheap bakery cakes. A lot of people hate it, but if I could cover every cake in that, I would. Unfortunately, you can't make this kind of icing homemade. You either have to buy a bucket or a mix for it. Next purchase: economy size bucket of Bettercreme.

0 comments: