Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I really want to start an Etsy shop. I don't know what I would sell, or if I am creative enough to sell anything at all. But for now I will dabble at jewelry making. We will see where that goes. Here are my latest purchases towards my jewelry making...


These beads were purchased at a neat store in Tyler called Bead Crazee. I am wanting to make two necklaces like the ones seen below that both Emily and I either lost or broke. This was my favorite necklace.


My long term idea for an Etsy shop would be to create a handmade market here in Tyler, featuring handmade crafts and arts made by locals. How neat would that be? I went to store called Textures Handmade Market in Tallahassee, FL when I went to visit Emily, and fell in love. Not only does it have an array of homemade pillows, wonderful art, neat jewelry, BUT it has a cupcake store housed within the same room called Lucy and Leo's Cupcakery. Two of my favorite things under one roof. Amazing. How would good old Tyler react to a store like this? A good competitor for overpriced accessory stores, such as the ever pricey Spinout? I would hope that Tyler would take it with open arms. But then again, this is the not-so-cultured East Texas we are talking about. As much as I love Tyler (the city, not necessarily all the people here) I am afraid our little community couldn't handle and wouldn't support a venture such as a handmade market. But who knows if you don't try?

So now I have a goal to complete before I graduate. I know it will take a lot of time, resources, and talent, but if you know me, you know I have the drive to get things done.

While we ponder the great ideas that could happen, look at this blog post for my inspiration for the Tyler Handmade Market. I love their motto. Maybe a good name for a market one day coming to Tyler. People not factories. I like.

One last note, I found out that Norman (where I will be for the next 4 years) holds a huge music festival/arts fair in the middle of campus corner twice a year. This fall, on August 28th. I cannot wait to go to it and scope out all the goodies! If anyone would like to come visit me at OU, this would be a great and fun weekend to come! See Dustbowl Arts Market.

0 comments: