Thursday, June 23, 2011

My favorite summertime anytime dessert! Recipe taken from the Osmond Centennial Cookbook. The recipes are compiled from all the ladies of my mom's small Nebraska hometown. My grandma and I both can't eat something sweet without following it with something salty, and this dessert does just the trick. YUM.

Strawberries and Cream

Ingredients:
Crust: 2 cups crushed pretzels, 1/4 cups sugar, 1/2 cup butter
Cream: 12 ounces cream cheese, 3/4 cups sugar, 9 ounces whipped cream
Strawberries: 2 packages strawberry Jello, 2 cups of boiling water, 1 pint frozen strawberries

1) Mix together crushed pretzels, 1/4 c. sugar and butter. Press into the bottom of your pan (9x12) making sure to get in the corners. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Then let it cool.



2) Beat you cream cheese and 3/4 c. of sugar together until creamy. Try and beat it enough to get rid of the granulated texture. Fold in the whipped cream, and spread over your pretzel crust.


3) Mix your Jello into the boiling water, add your strawberries. Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator BUT do not let the Jello 'set' into the bowl.  Take the Jello out of the fridge when it is still able to be spread over the cream cheese layer. THEN let the Jello set completely in the fridge.


You can then cover the top of the Jello with more whipped cream. My family and I dug in too quickly for me to get a picture.

Seriously. Try this. It's heaven. Pure, sweet heaven.

1 comments:

emily/thesearethedays said...

Why have I never made this before?! Seriously, it's one of my favorite desserts. I'm going to make it tonight. Thanks for reminding me.