Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Shepherd of the Flock

During finals week I had the chance to see the Star of Bethlehem presentation. A professor at Texas A&M (whoop!) researched and studied all about the Star of Bethlehem in order to prove it's existence. And what he found was absolutely incredible. I can't even tell you how much my mind was blown and how in awe of my Father's intricacy and sheer power I was. Not only did he prove the Star of Bethlehem, he also gave signs that the Scriptures are true, and the events were real, and that the birth of my Savior was one of the greatest days in the history of the world, if not the greatest. If you ever have the chance to see this presentation in person, I BEG you to go. If not, buy the DVD. It's so worth it. The Lord is working through this man to reach of to so many people-- brothers and sisters in Christ and those who are waiting to be found.

All this be said, lately I have been thinking a lot about God's character, specifically as the Great Shepherd. I was given a little insight in a bible study once, so here is my less-than-eloquent retelling. Shepherds of the day cared for their sheep more than anything. Like a baby can recognize it's mothers voice out of a wave of voices, so these sheep would respond to the shepherds call. A specific, distinct, familiar, soothing voice. Oftentimes, herds would venture out through the lands to come upon a steep cliff or patch of thistle or some other danger. The shepherd, the great protector, would send out his call to his lost sheep in order to bring them back to safety. But it didn't always work. But did he just sit there and watch his flock fall down the wrong path? Well of course not. Here is my most favorite part. In the case that the flock didn't respond to his calling, our friend the shepherd would literally lay down in front of the sheep's pathway, making himself a barrier between the flock and their certain demise. Because of this barrier, the sheep would know that danger was ahead and would turn back. Sound eerily familiar?

How many times a day do I hear the Lord calling me out to me, knowing I am lost and far from where I should be? And yet, how many times am I like these little sheep who just do not hear the voice and keep following this path of destruction--- of jealousy, insecurity, anger, and unawareness of the person I am made to be. Much more than I would ever care to attest to. It took Jesus to lay His life down in front of me, just as the shepherds do, to be a barrier between safety in His care and danger in the pits of hell, in order for me to see that the way I am living is dangerous. He calls me back to Him, and now I come running. There is a permanent barrier laid down that keeps me in His loving grasp, so that I down have to continue my trek down that dark destructive pathway. I cannot imagine a greater love, but more importantly, I could never be thankful enough for that selfless act. I stumble and I get lost. I am far from an obedient sheep. But I know I can always call upon my God and He will be waiting for me, standing at the top of the hill overlooking His valley of sheep.

He is there, He is watching.

0 comments: