Thursday, June 14, 2012

Desk Space, Revisited

A few months ago I shared with you guys my desire to find an old, weathered farm table to use as my desk in my room this upcoming year. Since then I have scoured countless antique stores, coming out empty handed due to limited availability or hefty price tags.

Here's the inspiration:


Two weekends ago my mom and I ventured out to Canton Trades Days (our favorite) in search of some good finds. I have a long list on my iPhone notes of all the things I am hunting for at flea markets, but a desk was at the top of the list. One of the first booths we walked up to (and these are the outdoor booths, mind you-- don't venture into the Arbors unless you are prepared to be bewildered by bedazzles!) had the most perfect green desk sitting in the grass. Too good to be true, right? Wrong-o. Walk up to it, price= $45. Three times less that the average tables I had been seeing. The vendor walks up to my mom within seconds and whispers he will take $30. I mean, really, I didn't even have to try for this one. It was perfect, and it was mine. (Other finds of the day: vintage strainer, a pair of sewing scissors, sewing shears, and a headband to replace a lost favorite.)




Isn't the patina beautiful? My dad and I spent a few hours a day or two ago sanding, cleaning, and strengthening the table by replacing screws and fixing stripped holes. (The back leaf is missing in this picture- it had been taken off to be worked on.) Sanding the top brought out a beautiful blue undercoat, which was a nice surprise.

I am excited to bring this into my new room once I move back into the College Station house.






3 comments:

madison elizabeth mackey said...

i love this desk, and the new layout!

emily/thesearethedays said...

seriously? How can I get in on all of these treasures you guys find?! Dont' leave a sister hanging :)

Jillian Anderson said...

Madi, thanks so much! I was excited to find both.

Emily, gotta come closer to us!